St. John Church, in partnership with CAMA, U of I Extension, the Reading Success Center, and Collinsville Township, will be hosting a summer feeding program for children 4 years to 18 years of age this summer. This will be the fifth year of the summer program. We averaged 68 children a day in 2016. The program is on Monday-Thursday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m. and will begin on Monday, June 5 and run through Thursday, July 27.
Along with a free, hot lunch, the children receive two-45 minute rotations of varied activities.
CAMA provides Tote Me Home bags to all the children who qualify for free and/or reduced lunch since food insecurity is the reason many children do not look forward to summer vacation from school because they do not receive the free breakfast and lunch provided when school is in session.
You can help by volunteering to:
* Assist the cook in the kitchen one or more days a week from 11:15-12:45.
* Assist CAMA in packing up the Tote Me Home food bags every Thursday morning.
* Encourage and keep a student on task in the reading lab two days a week (M & W or T & Th). Eight tutors are needed each day from 12:30-2:00 p.m.
* Lesson plan and teach in the Preschool Class Room.
* Lesson plan and teach in the Junior/Senior High Class Room.
* Sit at the check-in/check-out desk one day or more a week from 11:30-2:15.
* Teach P.E., Arts & Crafts, Music, or your favorite hobby or skill (an example would be sign language.) We will work to accommodate your schedule.
* Financially support HHH Summer Camp by sending your check to St. John Church, 307 W. Clay St., Collinsville, IL 62234.
* As the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child and you are a part of the village. If you have ideas or would like to volunteer to help at HHH Summer Camp, please contact Dana at 344-2526.
It takes about 100 volunteers to staff this huge outreach ministry!